By Dr. Christine Binert
Dental floss gets between those hard-to-reach places to remove the food that your toothbrush can’t get to.
But did you know … if you find yourself in a tight spot, floss could come to your rescue?
There are stories all over the web about how a few resourceful individuals have used floss to help them around the house or in a survival situation.
Here are some of the most unique uses our team at Dental Care Group has come across …
- Floss can be a lifesaver. We’ve heard stories of how floss has been used as a tourniquet to stop blood loss. In one case, a nurse saved a man whose arm was bitten by a shark!
- Need a hair tie? Floss is a great substitute for the scrunchie or elastic. Use it when you need to keep your hair away from your face or falling in food.
- Start a fire. Waxed floss will come in handy if you’re trying to start a bonfire. You can wrap it around a stick and light it like a candle, use it to tie a bundle of kindling together, or even use it as cordage for a bow drill to spark your flames.
- Floss and fish go together. If you run out of fishing line, you can use floss for your next big catch! A quick YouTube search reveals several videos of fisherman taking part in the “Dental Floss Challenge.”
- Hang art or pictures on the wall. Floss is a great alternative to braided wire. It’s strong enough to hold up your family photo or artistic creation without damaging the paint on your wall.
A few other uses include: sewing ribbons onto ballet shoes and button eyes on toys, repairing the mesh of a baby’s playpen, and cleaning old sewing machines. If spend a lot of your time in the kitchen, floss can be used to cut cheeses, dough, and slice cake into layers.
If you’d like to learn about the other great ways to make use of floss, do a Google search and see what you come up with! You’ll be surprised by what you find.
And while you’re at it … don’t forget to floss – your teeth! If you want to make sure you’re doing it right or are showing signs of gum disease, give your friendly team at Dental Care Group a call.